By Michilea Patterson, The Mercury
A green thumb can lead to cash money for Boyertown and Pottstown residents that enter this year’s Home Garden Contest.
The deadline for the growing competition was extended until 5 p.m. this Friday. First through third place winners get cash prizes as well as honorable mentions. Money awards go all the way up to $200. The contest has categories for adults, children, small spaces, vegetables and flowers. Both beginners and experienced gardeners are encouraged to get growing.
There’s no fee to enter the contest and a registration form can be found online at HomeGardenContest.com. Print registration forms are available at the Building a Better Boyertown office, the Pottstown Mosaic Community Land Trust office and the Pottstown Area Health & Wellness Foundation. The Boyertown office is located at 3 E. Philadelphia Avenue, the Pottstown Mosaic office is located at 10 S. Hanover St. and the foundation is located in Pottstown at 152 E. High St. on the fifth floor.
The Home Garden Contest is only open to residents that live within the Boyertown Borough or the Pottstown Borough. Each municipality will have separate judging but a joint awards ceremony. Judging for the contest will take place on July 7, 8 and 9.
• Junior Garden: This category is for children and young adults 18 and under that get their hands dirty by planting vegetables or flowers.
• Bees & Butterflies Garden: This category is for gardens that attracts bees, butterflies and other pollinators.
• “Everything But the Kitchen Sink” Garden: This category is for gardens that use decorative objects and other non-vegetative items to help beautify the area.
• Grocery Garden: This category is for gardens that blossom with delicious fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs and edible flowers.
• “A Lot with a Little” Garden: This category is for new gardeners, renters, or homeowners with little space to plant. Gardens can be in a container, planter or widow box.
• General Garden: This category is gardens that beautify their neighborhood through plants. The garden can include shrubs, trees, flowers, herbs, vegetables and containers.
The Home Garden Contest is made possible through a collaboration between Building a Better Boyertown and the Mosaic Community Land Trust as well as the main sponsor, the Pottstown Area Health & Wellness Foundation.