By Michilea Patterson, The Mercury
Children that participate in the Pottstown Regional Library “On the Move” programs this summer will exercise their brains and bodies.
For the next month, Monday through Saturday children will have the opportunity to participate in activities all over town. Activity stops include Art Fusion on Mondays, Connection on High Café on Wednesdays and the Althouse Arboretum in Upper Pottsgrove on Fridays. Kids that join the fun will have the opportunity to swim, hike and of course read. The summer programming is free but parents must register their children at the library. The address is 500 E. High St.
The Pottstown Regional Library is currently undergoing a big renovation which explains the travelling children activities this summer. The Library resides in a 1915 building. The renovation project has been planned for years and construction started this spring. The updated changes will improve access to the building, improve energy efficiency and provide an expanded space for public use.
The renovation was made possible through a state grant but the Pottstown Library has a gofundme page to raise money to replace library furnishings. Most of the furniture was acquired in 1961. Raised funds would help the library purchase collaboration tables, seating and mobile shelving. The library has raised $1,380 so far of their $10,000 goal. To learn more about the fundraiser or to donate, visit www.gofundme.com/xvwv5szg.
LIBRARY ON THE MOVE SCHEDULE
• Mondays: Art Fusion 1964 from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Children participate in arts and crafts activities.
• Tuesdays: Pottstown YMCA from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. After a morning activity there will be an afternoon swim at the Y.
• Wednesdays: Connections on High Café from 10:30 a.m. to 11: 30 a.m. Children will be able to enjoy several performances including one from Fresh Start Fitness next week.
• Thursdays: ACLAMO Family Center from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. There will be fun activities for 1st through 5th graders.
• Fridays: Althouse Arboretum from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Each week will include an outside activity followed by a hike on the trail.
• Saturdays: Pottstown Library. Fun activities at the library include a coloring club, Spanish stories and more.
For more details about the “Library on the Move” programs this summer, call the library’s youth department at 610-970-6551 or visit the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/prplibrary.